Performs unskilled and semi-skilled labor and maintenance duties in the upkeep and improvement of park facilities for the City.
Supervision Received: The Parks Worker is under the general and close supervision of the Parks Lead.
Supervision Exercised: N/A
- Irrigates the lawns and keeps the irrigation facilities in operating condition; including the adjustment of valves and sprinklers.
- Performs a variety of mowing functions including mowing of the park lawns, trimming along the edges and around trees, providing minor repairs to lawn mowers and trimming equipment.
- Operates Lawn mowers, weed trimmers, leaf blowers and other landscape maintenance related equipment.
- Performs a variety of routine grounds maintenance work; rakes, plants, transplants, sprays, trims shrubs and low trees; re-lays sod.
- Removes various debris from the park grounds making the parks safe and clean. Sweeps around picnic tables; cleans restrooms; paints the various facilities as instructed.
- Weeds around trees and other places; burns trash if necessary; sprays for noxious weeds and insects if needed. Performs related duties as required.
- Cleans park restrooms.
- Maintains a clean and safe working environment; portrays a positive public image and works with the public and other employees in a courteous and professional manner.
- Performs other duties as required or assigned.
- This position requires being on-call on average for one week every 5 weeks.
Education and experience:
- High School graduate or equivalent.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Some knowledge of plants and plant care.
- Working knowledge of use of lawn mowers.
- Ability to use small hand tools.
- Ability to make minor repairs.
- Ability to establish working relationships with other employees and the public.
- Basic knowledge of sprinkler and drip system functions and related components.
- Upon employment, must possess a valid Utah driver's license.
Work Environment and Physical Demands
The Parks Service Worker I works in variable weather conditions. The Parks Service Worker I performs heavy and light labor. Tasks regularly include muscular strain, including walking, standing, stooping, reaching and lifting. Talking, hearing and seeing are necessary for performing most essential functions. Common eye, hand and finger dexterity is required for most essential functions.
A formal application and resume is required; finalists will interview with the appropriate hiring authority as designated by the city council. Applicant must pass a pre-employment drug test and background check, and upon employment, must possess a valid Utah driver's license.